Southern Breeders Group
The Southern Breeders’ Group of the Belted Galloway Cattle Society was established in November 2014.
The Group has the support of the Society and operates within its existing structure. The Southern Breeders’ Group’s proposed aims are as follows:
- To promote and market the Belted Galloway breed
- To beef producers as a profitable way of converting poorer grazing into prime beef
- To the general public as a sustainably produced premium quality meat
- To provide networking and support to existing and potential new breeders of Belted Galloways – and other Galloway breeds
- To co-ordinate showing activity amongst members
- To organise social events for members
- To uphold the integrity of the breed according to the rules and constitution of the Breed Society.
There is an annual subscription fee of £10 per herd – payable to: Belted Galloway Southern Breeders Group.
Chair: Jeremy Loxton
Old School House, Ashford Hill, Hampshire RG19 8BB
Secretary: Alison Bunning
Hatherland Mill Farm, Lower Washfield, Tiverton, Devon EX16 9PG
Treasurer: Judith Galloway
Marstone, Chawleigh, Chulmleigh, Devon EX18 7EH 01769 580868
Breed Promotion Officer: Deborah Powell
Council Liaison: Anton Coaker
Several other group members give generously of their time to assist with various activities and projects, and we welcome input and ideas from breeders across the region and volunteers willing to help organise events.
2016 ActivitiesComing soon.
Breeders in the South will be showing their cattle at various agricultural shows across the region. In particular we plan to have a significant presence at the Royal Three Counties Show – 12-14th June. This has become the largest showcase for beef cattle in the South of England and we hope to have a good turnout of cattle and members for an informal get together.
On August 1st 2015 we are planning herd visits to two Dartmoor Beltie herds. In the morning we will visit the Halstock herd of Mr and Mrs John Hodge and after lunch will travel to the Sherberton herd of Anton and Alison Coaker where we will end the day with a barbecue. All Society members are welcome – please contact the Secretary or Chair to register interest and for further details closer to the time.
Belted Galloway UK Southern Breeders Group is the dedicated Facebook site for the Group. This site is designed to be a resource for Southern Group members and as such, although viewable by all, is only fully accessible to subscribed Members in the Southern Group region.